Today, I’d planned to sit down and do some literary submissions and/or some polishing on the book but it did not happen. On Friday, I was home on a use/lose vacation day from work. It was supposed to be a break in the extreme cold front but the wind was kicking up which wasn’t pleasant, but I still worked to drag over sandbags in the yard and patch our foundation. Because of the wind and the time of the high tide I wasn’t able to do any further patching on the seawall. I did the usual chores around the house and also had to write a request for ENF/Environmental Notification Forms — because the Town put a notice in our local newspaper on November 14, that on or about Nov. 15, they would be filing this ENF about a drainage project on the beach next door. So I’ve requested to be on updates by the town’s environmental consulting firm and from Mass. Environmental Protection Agency/MEPA — which actually means I did some writing in the form of two serious requests/letters, that I ran to send via certified mail with a receipt at the post office and did a few errands on my way back.
Saturday was my day “off” off I went to book club and saw everyone which was a nice break. Today, I’d hoped to play catch up. On Friday I did clear some lumber, long pieces and these panels that keep washing up.
Last week another floating dock section washed up, we had about a half dozen or so last month that I pushed over the wall and DPW/town Dept. of Public Works picked up and hauled away. This latest one showed up last week but it was gone when I started to clean the lumber/panels off the beach on Friday — I thought someone else might have fished it out but no such luck, it had apparently gone back out with the tide and got stuck in the mud by the groundwater drain and washed up again today — next to our seawall/where the old and the new wall break.
Generally my approach is to roll these floats over and up the hill (when they tip most of the water drains out) and then over the town’s wall where DPW will eventually pick them up — but as you can notice in the photo above this one was now encrusted with mussels. Clustered they were in thick bunches large, medium and tiny little ones barely the size of my finger nail. See close up photo below.
Since I did not want to commit any kind of a mollusk massacre — I ran back into the house and grabbed some rubber gloves and the camera and it took awhile but I peeled off as many as I could — trying to keep the bunches intact before throwing them back into the incoming tide. To note, some of the shells were already broken, either from the tide, hitting our wall or attacks by the seagulls that cursed at me and then flew away but the sky was also getting dark and it was starting to sleet. I’m not sure if this is a natural adhesive that has ever been adapted but they did not pry up easily — I was actually saying — give give — if you want to live.
No one of course stopped by to lend a hand. One girl with a dog did walk on the top tier of the beach/town wall — I saw her walk by and staring at me then she walked back up on the sidewalk.
After I removed the mussels and relocated them back into the oncoming tide I rolled the dock/section over the wall and pushed it over by the steps — because we are supposed to have a storm tomorrow and it’s possible the water could go over the town wall — I don’t want it hitting our wall at the top or our fence which are not in good shape.
While on the beach I did my usual cleaning, beer bottles, plastic wrappers/bags, and a little styrofoam but I couldn’t get the tiny pieces, with my fingers cold and clumsy from pulling off the mussels.
And then thought I saw a ball on the flats between the outcrops of the marsh grass but it turned out to be — a coconut. So I took a photo before pitching it in the trash as it was submerged and I think compromised by the saltwater.
To add to my collection of odd finds, awhile back earlier this fall, I found this doll — I have no idea how she came to be stuck on the seawall — I found her wedged when I was looking for cracks/damage to patch. But I was able to completely clean her, and hopefully I can find her a good home with a more careful owner — so I’m going to donate her to a nonprofit that gives books/small toys to kids in the city
And that concludes another episode of things I find on the beach.